Happy Saint Andrew's Day!
Today (30th November) is the feast day of Saint Andrew, Scotland's patron saint.
Some quick facts:
• Saint Andrew was a fisherman, and Jesus' first disciple.
• He's the patron saint not only of Scotland, but also of Cyprus, Greece, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Tenerife and some other places.
• He's the patron saint of singers, spinsters, maidens, fishmongers, fishermen, women wanting to be mothers, gout and sore throats!
• He was crucified by the Romans on an X-shaped cross, rather than the T-shaped cross that Jesus was crucified on. Hence the flag of Scotland is the Saltire or Saint Andrew's Cross.
• The saint's remains have been in Almafi, Italy, since 1210, when they were stolen from their original resting place in Constantinople.
• Surprisingly, many Scots celebrate the day by drinking a lot!
Why not join them and enjoy a wee dram this evening in honour of Saint Andrew!
Share this video on social media: